Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Shopping

Hi, y'all! I had a change to hit Cato today and tried some things on. I thought I would share what I found. ;) As you already know, I am a bit of a clearance junkie. Indeed I rarely even bother looking anywhere other than the clearance racks. I know I am not going to pay full price so I would rather not torture myself. Anway here's what was on clearance at Cato today.

First up a cream lace peplum top with 3/4 sleeves and an adorable bow belt (on clearance for $11). 

My thoughts: I really love the peplum trend. Unfortunately it doesn't love me. Because I have an ample bosom, I have a really hard time finding one to fit right. As you can see, the waist is too high and it just accentuates my top half. As to this top in particular, the sheer lace sleeves are pretty, but not entirely practical.

Verdict: Passed.
******

Next I tried on a red lace skirt (on clearance for $15). 

My thoughts: I had a very similar skirt in pretty much the same color that I wore for years. I ended up donating it a few years ago because it got too big after my original weight loss. I love the color and lacy fabric and the length is perfect. Unfortunately it was just a tad too snug in the waist.

Verdict: I passed for the time being. I will keep an eye on it and if the price goes down as my weight goes down I may pick it up.
******

This pale mint pencil skirt is gorgeous and at $11 a decent price, however they didn't have it in my size. Boo.

******

Next a pair of white skinny jeans (on clearance for $15).

My thoughts: I have been searching for a replacement pair of white jeans for a while now so I grabbed these off the clearance rack to try on. They were a little too tight (I prefer to get stretch jeans a little snug because they inevitably stretch out to a reasonable size, otherwise they get too baggy and won't stay on.) Anyway. These were too tight and too long. (See bunchy ankles below.)

bunchy ankles

 Verdict: I passed. Obviously.
******

And here are the pink jeans I mentioned last week. Marked down to ($10).
closeup of snakeprint


My thoughts: I just can't decide on these jeans. I love the shade of pink and I know that the snakeprint is so faint that it isn't all that noticeable.  But I just feel like they don't quite fit into my conservative wardrobe. I love the length and have had good luck with the comfort level in Cato's jeans.

Verdict: Passed for now. These are actually a size too small. I will check my local Cato to see if they have them in my size and then decide. Please let me know your thoughts on the snakeprint?
******

And finally I tried on a white knit blazer (on clearance for $15).


My thoughts: I really liked this blazer. It was comfy and stretchy. I do already have a white linen blazer that is very structured. It is beautiful, but not particularly comfy and I typically only wear it for church. I can see this working with casual dresses, jeans and even shorts.

Verdict: I liked this a lot but am going to wait to see if it gets marked down further.

So I bought nothing today at Cato. And honestly this happens fairly frequently. I have really strict shopping rules as well as a pretty small budget. I also have a list and while I am happy to find great deals on things I really love that aren't on my list for the most part I try to stick to the list.

Do you ever shop and buy nothing? Do you have a list or are you a by the seat of your pants shopper?

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on being more of a "list" shopper - I used to kind of just buy "By the seat of my pants" so to speak. And I have definitely shopped and bought nothing - I'm getting much pickier than I used to be, I won't settle!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...