Friday, June 22, 2012

FBFF: After the Wearing

dress: not a particularly flattering color - bye bye

white shorts: have gotten way too big - bye bye

black shorts: uncomfortable waistband - bye bye

red skirt: also gotten way too big in the waist - bye bye

Happy Friday y'all! So, this week's FBFF is about what we do with the stuff we don't wear anymore. I went through my archives and found a few things that have been purged in the last year. Because of my weight loss the red skirt and white bermuda shorts have gotten so big in the waist that they won't stay up. The nude/peach dress went because the color wasn't particularly flattering and that photo up there is the only time the dress got worn. The black shorts were a thrifted find that ended up being really uncomfortable in the waist. All three went to my favorite consignment store to earn me more shopping cash!

Now without further ado, here are my answers to this week's questions. If you want to play along, go check out FBFF at Modly Chic!

1. How often do you go through your closet to purge the things you no longer wear? Usually twice a year, in the spring and the fall. However, due to crazy times around here, I haven't done my spring purge yet. In fact I haven't even taken my winter stuff out of my closet yet. Yikes. It's JUNE! I should probably get on that. :)

2. What do you do with the things you are through with?If the stuff is in really good shape it goes to my favorite consignment store, Yours Truly. If you are in the Conway, Arkansas area, check it out, it is huge and awesome. The stuff that is a little more worn or faded either goes to Savers or is put away for a garage sale. I currently have about four garbage bags full of stuff for a garage sale. (Not only my stuff, also my hubby's and kiddo's.) Time to get on that too. (Man who knew writing an FBFF post would add to my to do list!?)

3. Have you ever sold on consignment or through online boutiques? Consignment - yes, all the time. Online - nope never tried it. Not sure I ever will.  What has your experience been like?I have always had very positive experiences with consigning clothing, shoes, purses etc. Of course I have a great relationship with the owner of my favorite store. (I babysat her kids long before she opened the store - now said kids are the adults running the store. Makes me feel old. Seriously.)

4. More and more people are concerned about the fast rotation of fashion and how that is filling our landfills. What are you doing to decrease your clothing trash pile?Ummm, I don't generally throw clothes away, unless we are talking about undergarments or something that is hopelessly stained or torn. I also am pretty strict about my buying habits and only purchase what I really need, will use and completely love. This means that my discards are generally small. I also rarely purchase truly trendy items which means that most of my clothing gets worn for years - I have had the pink keds in the above pic since high school (at least 16 years ago), the red skirt and nude sandals are at least 8 to 10 years old, same with the aqua sweater.

5. What's been your favorite/best score from a thrift store or consignment shop? Wow, that is really hard to answer, because I do a huge portion of my shopping from thrift or consignment stores. Two of my favorite finds over the last year or so are a cream cashmere Oscar de la Renta sweater and a khaki silk/cotton skirt.

thrifted cashmere sweater
silk/cotton skirt from consignment store

I am also linking up with my favorite friday parties - Blonde Episodes, All Things Chic and Casual Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...