Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Work it Wednesday: Khaki and Cream

As I mentioned yesterday, my clothing style tends to toward the classic and basic. I like simple shapes in soft fabrics. If it is comfy, I don't wear it. So here is a pretty basic, neutral outfit.
sweater: goodwill, pants: walmart
Pretty boring, right? A super soft and comfy cream sweater with skinny khaki pants. In my Cheap and Chic world this outfit totals $8. Not bad, right?

Here is how I actually wore it today. It is pouring down rain and about forty degrees out. Ick! So rain boots, rain coat with a hood and bright colors were a must!
raincoat: walmart, boots: target, necklace: goodwill

bright necklace and multiple rings

Now here are two more outfits with the same basics. First a more work appropriate look with a burgundy cardi and pumps.
cardi: cato, pumps: payless, clutch: ???

And finally, my favorite look and the one I would have worn if it wasn't pouring down rain outside. A leopard scarf, some bangles and chocolate boots. Perfect.
scarf: by me, boots: payless


And a Cheap and Chic tip just for y'all because I love you. The scarf is nothing more than two yards of chiffon fabric I found on sale and JoAnn's. I love scarves, but they tend to be out of my price range and rarely are marked down on clearance enough for me to take the plunge. Last year I looked everywhere for a leopard print scarf and came up empty. Until I ran in JoAnn's for something else and ran across this pretty chiffon fabric in the clearance section. I think it was $1 a yard. So for $2 I have the perfect leopard scarf. It even has metallic gold thread running through it. If the edges start fraying too much, I'll just take the sewing machine to it, but for now it is perfect as is.

So there we have folks, three easy ideas to change up a super basic outfit. Do you use accessories to keep things fresh? Or do you let your clothes do all the talking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...