Friday, September 9, 2011

Change for a Dollar


I am doing things a little differently today my friends. This video made me cry and made me think. I cried because I am a girl and I do that. But it made me think about how inherently selfish we are as people. It is so easy to focus our time and energy and money on the things that we need and want rather than on the world around us. We all know that we can change people's lives if we try, but how often do we really try. How often do we really pay attention to what is going on around us. Because it doesn't take money to change the world, it takes heart. A heart that is open to the needs around it - that notices the little things that will truly help people, a lucky penny to point to a help wanted sign, a dime to help a sick child, a flower to show love, matches for warmth, and finally a quarter to call home. It wasn't what he did that made the difference - the difference was made because he cared enough to notice what was really needed. And then he gave what he had. Wow.

There is one phrase that sums up pretty much everything I believe and the way I try to live - Love God, Love People. The loving God part is easy because how can I not, but the loving people part? Not always so easy. But you know what? It is worth it. It is worth taking the time to really see people for who they are - each a unique and beautiful creation, loved by the Father - and what they really need - love. Not a mushy, gooey feeling, but a willingness to give everything you have to make another person's life a little easier, a little better. And to do it without thanks or notice, because it is the right thing to do.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...