Saturday, April 2, 2011

Modesty

No photos today. Honestly, I didn't even get dressed until after 4 and then just threw on a black tee and olive cargo capris to take the Munchkin to the park. Nothing worth recording. Oh, well. Some days style just doesn't happen. Life goes on.

I have been amazed by the number of modest style blogs out there. I have only recently discovered blogging and mistakenly assumed most style bloggers dressed like celebrities or fashion models. It has been so awesome to discover a cyber-world full of real women of all shapes and sizes. Wow. Even more incredible has been the number of blogs of stylish women dedicated to modest fashion. I believe in modesty, and that belief and the way it translates in the way I live and dress are influenced by my faith. However as a Christian of the Southern Baptist persuasion there are no hard and fast rules of modesty.

So, what is modesty? Not it's definition (reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior) or it's parameters (skirts to the knee, sleeves etc.), but it's essence.  To me modesty is about more than lines on the body, clothing that goes to here and no higher. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but why those lines? For instance my own standards of dress include sleeveless tops and hemlines to my fingertips. Does that make me immodest or less Christian than those whose hemlines are lower? I don't think so. Modesty in my life is more about my attitude and how I live my life than the way I dress. For me, this means that my femininity and all that entails is in my control. My body is mine and I control the way I share it with the world and yes, there is reserve and propriety in the way that I do that. I have no desire to flaunt myself or to appear sexy. But even beyond that is a reserve in the way I deal with the opposite sex and in the way that I speak. While I believe in covering my body, I feel that it is equally important to deal with the world in love and compassion.

So, what is modesty in your life? Is it just about your clothes or the way you live your life?

God bless!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a great attitude about modesty and you seem to be approaching it with the right mindset. Anyway, I really like your blog, you seem to be really down to earth and we seem to have the same kind of budget!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...